I jumped into dressmaking without much thought. A friend inspired me to make my girls dresses, and then along came Love Sewing magazine with that cute Brigitte dress pattern, so I started making a few things for myself. I really want to make the Simplicity K1609 dress, of which the pattern came free with Sew magazine (yes, I did kind of buy the magazine just for the free patterns!!). I made a toile almost immediately – I wanted a good fit after that Brigitte dress turned out a bit loose at the bust – which went really well and fits perfectly (which is a little annoying). So I just need to get cracking with the real deal – but I can’t choose a fabric! So in the meantime I’m taking a break from dressmaking.
This week I really did venture outside my usual sewing habits. I made a game! A travel noughts and crosses to be exact. The idea is from Sew magazine – the issue with the free pattern.
Thinking about it, of course most noughts and crosses games are fit for travel in that all you need is a pen and paper… therefore I would like to call my game posh noughts and crosses. It consists of a padded gameboard, which folds up fairly small so will be good for travel.
I like how it’s a good size; sometimes you get travel versions of games and they have miniature pieces – I can’t see them lasting very long. These counters are great; they can’t roll around or slip about and they’re easy to hold.
The making was very straightforward. Literally straightforward. 90% of the sewing was straight lines in straight stitches.
Making the counters got quite repetitive, and they were the most difficult part of the whole project. The crosses weren’t too bad; although they are fraying already…
…but the noughts were tricky because they required sewing quite tight circles. They turned out OK, though; there’s just one with a little gap where both lines of stitching slipped off the edge. I couldn’t be bothered to fix it!
I don’t think I’ve ever been quite so grateful for the fantastic little needle up/down button on my machine; it got a lot of use during the stitching of those noughts! If you don’t have a machine with this feature – I’m telling you, you NEED one!!
Once the shapes were sewn on, I then had to back them, turn them inside out, press, topstitch… it took forever. I took a photo halfway through the turning stage because I was bored! I do enjoy sewing, but it can get frustrating at times.
This was a great ‘stashbuster’ project. It is nice when you can make something out of what you already have, rather than buy in a couple of meters especially for the project, like I have to for my dressmaking. I used two lovely fabrics from The Makery (one that my mum sent me, which came as part of a free gift from a recent promotion – woohoo!), and I bought the rather suitable ribbon from them when I visited Bath a couple of weeks ago.
I then only needed a small amount of fabric for the counters. The result of using fabrics already in my stash is that the game is rather a mismatch of colours and patterns. I don’t think it’s too dreadful though.
The whole project turned out great; however I did make one stupid mistake, which I didn’t notice until we were playing it! One of the backs of the counters is stitched on the wrong way round! Maybe that was my last one… Whoops. Maybe it’s a lucky one.
I’m glad I’ve made this because we are going away this weekend – hooray! The idea was to spend a few days in the sun, at the beach… but it looks like the weather is changing and we will have rain!! So my posh noughts and crosses may just get a lot of use over the next few days!
Of course, you don’t need to be travelling to play it… my girls are already enjoying it 🙂