A couple of weeks ago it was Kids Clothes Week. You may have seen the fairytale trousers I upcycled for my toddler. I really pleased with them; I haven’t actually altered them at all (I thought I would have to make the rise longer but it turns out that they fit better than they did the first time we tried them!)
Next I wanted to make two simple skirts for my daughters, like this:
[Unfortunately that’s not my skirt – it’s the one in Alison Smith’s The Sewing Book]
I’m ashamed to admit: these simple skirts defeated me. I can hardly believe that I struggled to make something so simple!
Using some skirts that fit my daughters, I cut out the pieces from a pink duvet cover that my granny gave me to use as fabric. I thought I would be all clever working like a little production line; I French seamed both skirts in turn…
… and hand stitched an invisible hem on both. (These photos are of the bigger skirt.) So I was left with two bands to work with.
Then I started the decorative work on the smallest skirt. I made the adorable tucks, which are pressed up and down in turn – I love the effect.
Then I hand embroidered the flowers.
And then I had a sudden moment of realisation. Have you noticed my mistake? I had not taken into account the fact that I should have cut the fabric longer to accommodate the tucks. So the skirt had lost a lot of it’s length. My daughter is nearly 2, not newborn. What a stupid mistake!! I just wasn’t thinking! I must have been tired on the cutting-out evening. Lesson learned!
I didn’t even take photos because I was so distraught! But I can tell you that the new skirt was not as high in length as the ready-made one I was using as a guide. And of course I wanted to add an elasticated waistband, I would have needed another inch or so at the top. It was a good few inches to short!
So I cut out another few inches of fabric (luckily I had PLENTY) and stitched it on the top. Then I folded it over and sewed to make the waistband. This is where I’m at now, and I’ve shoved it to the side, along with the other “skirt” – or rather, a band with pretty embroidery a neat hem. The skirt still came up to short. I was fed up, I rushed it, and it all went wrong.
I wasted so much time doing the tucks and embroidery – which, typically, was all so neat!!
Well, I’m going to forget about that, now.
I’ve moved on to something else. Actually – two things, to be precise.
You may have seen in my Sunday Sevens post at the weekend I started the needlework purse that I was given for my birthday.
And I have started making a ‘Sew Simple’ Ruby Dress – the one that came free with Love Sewing magazine a few months ago. I’m making it in this fabulous spotty cotton.
I hope to complete it by this weekend so that I can wear it out on my first child-free night away for some time!
Wish me luck and no stupid mistakes with this one…