I’ve seen these Sorbetto tops a lot in the sewing blog community. A free pattern, quick and easy to sew – I thought it’s about time I joined in.
I bought the pretty fabric when I went on a bit of an online shopping spree at Minerva Crafts. Isn’t it cute! I actually bought it with the intention of making a top, but at the time wasn’t aware of the Sorbetto. Then I came across the pattern and decided that would be the one!
I actually used some of the fabric a few weeks ago to make an easy-peasy A-line dress for my toddler, but luckily I still had plenty left for this project. So now little one and I have clothes in matching fabrics – cute as it is, I’m not sure we will wear them on the same day! You can barely see where I end and she begins!
The Sorbetto comes as a free PDF pattern so requires you to print, cut, match together, and stick the pieces of paper before you get started so it’s a bit of a faff but as it’s only two basic pieces and they lined up as they should it wasn’t as annoying as constructing that Brigitte dress pattern!
I’m really happy with how the top turned out. The only thing I would do differently should I make it again is give it more length. It’s not too short but it’s just a personal preference; I just prefer longer tops. The rest of the fit is great, though. Oh, I did alter the armholes slightly (I tried it on before the binding stage and found it quite restricting around the arms) by simply cutting curves inside the lower edges. I’m glad I did this because it made the top more comfortable, which means I will actually wear it.
As you can see, I made my own bias tape so that it blends in with the top. I got carried away and thought I would make more for future projects that may call for pretty binding – so I ended up making just over 3.6m!
So I had a little play with it before using it. Because making bias binding is not difficult (when you know how) but it is a pain when you just want to get on with sewing your garment. So making quite a length in one go (when you don’t even need to) is quite an achievement in my eyes… I may as well do something with it before cutting it up!
I learnt one new technique making this top – a different way of attaching binding. Or more specifically, not the whole process of attaching it, but the way you start and end to ensure a neat finish. If you have made the Sorbetto, you should know what I mean! I used to just overlap the ends – which can get fiddly – but their instructions are to join the ends of the tape and then stitch those few inches of tape down. The result is a nice neat finish, where you barely notice the join. Lovely 🙂
I’m now really happy to sew darts now. Everything gets easier with practice. These went in with no mistakes, and I’m really pleased with how smooth they are. There’s not a lot worse than pointy darts!
In fact now I think about it, my unpicker didn’t come out at all during the whole making of this top. That is a big achievement for me!! Wahoo!! 😀
So that’s it. A simple top, a simple sew, but a great amount of pleasure and pride in its creation!